Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Compliment

While shopping the other day at Sally's Beauty Supply, Dale and I were being helped by an older lady in her 70's.   I was trying to decide on some items to buy to get my wild hair under control.  After many, many years of wearing it short I decided I would try to let it grow out a little and it did not take long for it to start driving me crazy.  While discussing different products Dale and I bantered and joked back and forth, as we sometimes do.  The sales lady observing us asked us if we were married.  Not really understanding what she was getting at, we answered, "Yes, almost 40 years now."   She told us that by the way we conversed with one another she thought we may have been boyfriend and girlfriend. 

Without knowing it, she paid us a wonderful compliment.  Many times I have observed couples, as well as parents and children, in public speaking to one another very hurtful and disrespectfully. As Christians, we need to be aware of the way we speak to the sales people as well as one another.  We never know whose life we may influence.

1 comment: